5-Day Pre- New Year’s Detox!
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and holiday with your family and friends.
Personally, I’m feeling a little bloated from the Christmas cookies and holidays foods and am starting my 5 day detox starting from now until New Years Eve.
Getting back on track after a cheat day is one of the MOST important things you can do.
After a cheat day (or two) your body will be feeling tired and lethargic, and sometimes the last thing you want to do is get up and move around and especially detox. Especially since your body will be craving the salts and sugars from the past couple of days.
I’d love for you to join in on the fun for this 5-day detox! I’ll be doing this until the afternoon on the 31st.
5-Day Pre-New Year’s Detox Rules:
1. Green Smoothie for breakfast: One of my new fav recipes called Green Trekker inspired from a Whole Foods smoothie. In a blender, place 4 ice cubes, 6-8 oz. water, 1 huge handful fresh baby spinach, 1 heaping tsp. cacao powder, 1 handful frozen blueberries, 1/2 frozen banana, and 3 pitted medjool dates. Blend and enjoy!
Try other variations and be creative with it-but just make sure you add your greens in there- you won’t even taste them! The main goal with the green smoothies is to load your body with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, to alkalize your body, and begin the detoxification process.
2. Drink at LEAST 1/2 your body weight in ounces in water each day. Water consumed during your workouts does not count towards your daily total. (that’s a general rule of thumb anyway)
Keep it interesting. Find a really nice glass that you like and switch it up by adding sliced cucumber, strawberries, lemon, orange slices or other fun things to your water.
Also make sure to keep water with you at ALL times so you can stay hydrated throughout the day to make your detox more effective.
3. Have a large salad for lunch. Load it up with veggies- as much as you want. Add about 4 ounces of protein (chicken, turkey, etc.) Stay away from the iceberg- as it contains less nutrients and more water than spinach or a baby greens mix.
For dressing, I’m going to fresh squeeze a lemon over your salad. If that won’t cut it for you, you can make a light vinaigrette.
Here’s my fav dressing: 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, ⅓ cup good quality aged balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbs. dried parsley, ½ tsp. sea salt, Freshly ground pepper to taste, 1 Tbs. honey mustard (organic if possible), 1 garlic clove, passed through a garlic press or minced (optional) Add all ingredients into a bowl & whisk until thick and creamy.
4. Dinner: A palm sized portion of a grilled/baked/steamed protein (like chicken or fish) and 2 servings of vegetables
5. Get 6-8 hours of sleep every night. Make an effort to go to bed earlier if you’re not getting enough sleep. Rest and recovery is critical for your body to get the most out of your 5-day detox.
6. Exercise for at least 20 minutes for 3 or more of the next 5 days.
7. Other Basics:
- Caffeine: limit to 1 cup (and have green tea if you do).
- Need a snack: Apple with 1 Tbs. Almond Butter (NOT peanut butter), handful raw nuts, or Fresh veggies with 2 Tbs. homemade guacamole
- Just say NO to left-over Christmas cookies and eggnog!
- No dairy
- No Wheat products of any kind- breads, etc.
- Focus on the OUTCOME of what you want. Focus on feeling good, healthy, and energetic. Don’t focus on the foods that will distract you from this goal
That’s it! Not so bad, right!?
Ready to join me? Make sure to leave a comment with your commitment below!