Halloween Challenge & Fun Recipes for Your Kids!
Halloween is ALMOST Here!!!
I love Halloween, but having a holiday that is centered around kids (and adults) eating massive amounts of artificial sugar and processed candy drives me a little nuts.
There ARE healthier alternatives for your kids that can still be a ton of fun to eat, without causing a sugar coma afterwards.
This Post is For 2 Reasons:
1. I’m CHALLENGING You to a NO HALLOWEEN CANDY week, this week. It won’t be easy with all of it floating around, but if you accept this challenge, leave a comment below!
2. To provide you with a few fun and and healthy alternatives for your kids.
Here are a few Ideas we found on Parenting.com
You’ll need pretzel rods, 1 cup white choc chips, 1 Tbs. shortening, green food coloring, and coconut flakes
- Cut off the tops of pretzel rods and set aside.
- Melt 1 cup white-chocolate chips, 1 Tbs shortening, and a few drops of green food coloring; stir until smooth.
- Dip the cut end of the pretzels into the chocolate, covering the top 2 inches. Place on wax paper and sprinkle the sides of each with coconut flakes to form hair.
- Top each with a Hershey’s Kiss and refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened. Draw on eyes, nose, and mouth with black decorating icing; finish by covering the Kiss, too.
You’ll need Apples & almond slivers. (And, if you’re not going to serve them right away, baste the apples with orange juice to keep them from browning.)
- Just quarter and core an apple, cut a wedge from the skin side of each quarter, then press slivered almonds in place for teeth.
Slimy Jell-O Snacks Recipe
You’ll need 1 package of lime or apple Jell-O, 1 package of Cherry, berry-blue, or grape Jell-O, and some gummy worms. **though this still has a lot of sugar, it’s better than many of the other alternatives!
- Prepare a package of lime or apple Jell-O as directed and divide among 8-ounce mason jars or clear bowls, filling only halfway; refrigerate them until firm.
- Prepare another Jell-O flavor, such as cherry, berry-blue, or grape. While Jell-O is cooking, place three gummy worms on top of set gelatin and let another hang over the lip.
- Pour second flavor over the worms, filling to the top; refrigerate.
Hope you enjoy the recipes and have a Happy Halloween!